Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Boston!

Winter break is far behind us, and now spring break is almost in sight...I'd like to say I have a good excuse for not blogging, but only the worn out ones come to mind. Maybe I can blame it on Boston? (or maybe I just like the alliteration in that sentence...)

As soon as Christmas wrapped up, we began getting prepped for our long awaited trip to Boston for Aunt Kim's wedding. I was facing the trip with equal parts excitement (about my sister's nuptials and celebrations!!) and anxiety (two toddlers on a plane...four hour flights).

It took me nearly two and a half days to completely pack our entire family for this trip. Between the cold weather, the events, and the snacks, my brain wanted to combust when I saw my "to do" list. It all got done, and four backpacks and two suitcases later we were ready....to wake up at 4AM and begin our journey.

Let me preface this by saying that both girls spent most of December with fevers. It was a horrible month for us. Paige only managed to make it to school for two days during the three weeks of class. Just when I thought things were looking up, both girls were once again sick just in time to get on the plane. I took them both to the pediatrician whose advice was "They're ok to fly--just keep them away from the bride and groom, no one wants to get sick at their wedding." Check.

Despite a four hour lay over in Houston (which I will forever call  the dirtiest/worst airport ever) and one very memorable time out, we managed to arrive in Boston only slightly late and with all of our belongings. (PS I'm in love with Boston-Logan airport---it's wonderfully clean, green,  and caters to families with children. Kevin and I actually reminisced that it felt like we were flying  into Europe, not the east coast upon landing and managing a full-on-family-potty stop.) I owe a lot of our airplane/airport survival to some cleverly wrapped and distributed gifts, as well as one amazing iPad app that Reese can play until she's blue in the face.


Despite our early wake up I pulled myself together for Kim's bachelorette party that night, probably thanks to the amazing Italian take out and giant box of canoli's Aunt Kim greeted us with at the hotel. My night ended early, but with the milestone of hailing my own cab for the first time (hello country mouse!). Ok, so maybe I'd hailed some airport cabs, or Austin cabs, but I consider those easy prey...possibly even slowly-bleeding-to-death prey.

Our hotel was perfectly located--both in town, and across the hall from the grandparents--and we set our sights on exploring Boston with the girls on Saturday. We suited up, rode trains, walked for miles, saw historical landmarks, and visited the most bad-ass children's museum ever. Only four stories of amazing hands-on experiences can justify the admission price, and luckily it does. Yes, there were some overtired time outs in the museum too, but I didn't snap any pictures. We ended our day with an amazing  Italian meal at a tiny restaurant near by. My vodka sauce scallop dish would have ordinarily been fantastic, but to an overtired traveler it was Heaven on Earth. Paige and Reese couldn't get enough of the meatballs. They were easily the size of their fists and each of them ate at least two. Watching Reese perfectly use her napkin,  utensils, and table manners made us both fantasize about the possibilities and enjoyment that may someday come with traveling with older and not-sick children.

Sunday was Kim's big day. We spent the morning letting the girls get their fill of cable TV in the hotel room while I tried desperately to put together an eloquent toast. I gave up on my efforts to plan ahead when my speech notes (on the hotel post it notes) were repeatedly scribbled on.


Kim and Ehren's wedding speaks for itself. The most beautiful bride I've ever seen, an amazing venue, delicious food, and an open bar I didn't even have a chance to enjoy.



I think the girls used the dance floor more than any of the guests. Unfortunately. these are the only pictures we were able to snap, and they don't feature Reese's "Favorite Dance Partner," Kristen. We owed her more than one drink for how much she helped wrangle the little ones. Reese is still planning their next party together.







We topped the evening off with the bride and groom's after party. It was great to visit with Kim and Ehren's wonderful group of friends and to know how loved they are while they are so many miles away.

Paige continues to talk about Boston on a regular basis. For some reason, any mention of Boston can only be done through yelling. Hey, Paige, have you ever been on a plane? "Yes! To...to...to...BOS-TON!!!" She can hardly control herself. She now thinks all planes are en route to Boston and anyone going anywhere is headed to Boston. She's ready for a return trip...I think there are only 15 months until Aunt Kim's graduation, right?






















No comments:

Post a Comment