Saturday, December 22, 2012

Better Late?

So we jump from September to December...such is life when you're in a household with two working parents and two toddlers.

The end of our summer and the entirety of our fall was so full of events that I would feel remiss to skip them all completely. So...it is my personal goal to try and catch up on all my summer/fall blogging events during my winter break. (And I can only make this promise, by secretly acknowledging that if it doesn't get done I've still made progress...right?)

As I mentioned in my last entry--yes, the 4th of July one--things got a little hairy after the fourth of July in our house. The girls hit a horrible viral streak that continued for almost two weeks. Two back to back viruses sweeping through the family meant that for 15 straight days at least two members of our family had a fever at all times. Even Kevin and I were not safe from these crazy bugs.

Just when I thought we were in the clear I developed a fever and TERRIBLE headache. The girls were already scheduled to visit their grandparents so I could attend some professional development for my new job, so I downed some advil and drove them down the interstate. The next day, however, I couldn't get out of bed. A few hours and a spinal tap later the emergency room doctors confirmed that I had viral meningitis. I spent three days in the hospital while the girls enjoyed an extended stay with the grandparents.

Reese enjoying the pool in the grandparents' backyard
My recovery was long and slow and the only silver lining I can see is that I now have antibodies so this (likely) will not happen again.

When the girls returned to Austin we only had a few short days to enjoy before they started their first day of pre school.

No comments:

Post a Comment