Saturday, December 22, 2012

First Day of School

Since this fall marked my return to the classroom, the girls began their full time roles at a preschool down the street from our house.

I began looking for a school for them in the winter, around the time I began filling out job applications. Looking for a high quality school turned into an exhausting and emotionally draining challenge. Without knowing IF or WHERE I'd find a job, the issues of location, size, curriculum, and environment were constantly swirling in my mind. This spring the girls were on waiting lists for both a full time and mother's day out program (Reese's previous school) so that all our bases would be covered.

The school we decided on is a Montessori school near our house. It accepts students 18months-6years on a full time and part time basis. While the girls aren't in the same class, having them at the same facility (in classrooms next to each other!) was a comfort for us all.

Soon after returning to Austin from their mini vacation with their grandparents, the girls and I toured the school. Reese was excited but very concerned about the logistics of our new arrangement. When I was going to pick her up, and how they managed lunch time and nap time seemed to be the source of most of her anxiety. On the first day the girls were excited to don all of their new gear and head to their new school.



At drop off Reese took things in relative stride--with lots of quiet nods, but big eyes. I could tell she was very nervous but trying her best to be brave. Paige, on the other hand, LOVED the idea of school until it was time for Mommy to leave.

For the first few weeks, I dropped the girls off every morning and picked them up right after nap time in the afternoon. Once my students arrived for their first day later in the month, however, we began our schedule of daddy doing drop off and mommy doing pick up. It took almost two months for Paige to be consistently tear free during morning drop off. And even now after long weekends or sick days she remains clingy.

The girls have wonderful teachers who give them comfort as well as structure. They are always happy when I pick them up and I've managed to only have a few guilty-mommy-crying-in-the-car moments this semester.


No comments:

Post a Comment